What I do
I work as a front-end developer with London-based design agencies and companies on a freelance/contract basis. I build great looking and functioning website products. They are up to modern standards and have logical, well-structured and easily maintained codebases.
How I do it
I take pride in the fact that I’m not a ‘typical’ website developer.
In my view, being a developer is not just having a list of technical competencies. In most business environments, this is not enough. A good modern website developer must have many strings to his/her bow. They must be able to fully understand the problem – not just what is being asked of them technically. They need to understand why this is required and to challenge this if necessary, in order to build the best product possible. They must be able to communicate ideas with non-tech savvy people. As well as being technically proficient and experienced, they must also be a team-player, good at organisation, planning, scoping, estimates and be passionate about what they do.
I aim to be this developer.
My core skills
- My core skill is problem-solving, I love a challenge and finding the optimum solution for a problem
- 18 years’ experience in website builds
- I have worked with some of the best agencies in London including Digitas, Possible, TMW and Tangent, along with multiple small studios and startups
- Produced 60+ WordPress websites since 2008 (no joke – I have a list) – there’s not a lot I don’t know about WordPress!
- Produced 4 medium to large commercial Vue JS & Nuxt JS websites
- I produce logical, well structured and standards-compliant codebases
- A degree and background in digital design – I have a sharp eye and build designs into pixel-perfect sites
- Team leadership
- Friendly, approachable, communicative and questioning. I don’t work in a silo.
- I take great pride in what I do
- HTML (obviously)
- CSS 3, SASS, LESS, Stylus, BEM
- Bootstrap 3, Susy, Lost grid
- JS templating -Twig & Mustache
- PHP (inc. OO)
- Vue JS, VueX, Vue Router, Nuxt JS
- WordPress (Custom themes, custom plugins, custom post types & taxonomies, ACF, WPML, WooCommerce…)
- NPM, Yarn, Composer, Webpack, Browserify, Browsersync, Vagrant
- Google Lighthouse optimisation
Currently learning: NativeScript-Vue
- 2012-2019 Freelance (contract) front-end developer
- 2009-2012 Joe Smalley, Old St, London: Website designer & developer, B2B web agency specialising in WordPress websites for small businesses
- 2008-2009 Electric Studio, Oxford: Website designer & developer
- 2004-2008 Motion Studio, Oxford: Print & branding designer
- 2001-2004 University of Glamorgan: BA Graphic Communication 2:1
- 1997 Coded first website at age 14
- The Financial Times
- Haymarket Publishing
- Lulu Guinness
- TMW / Infiniti
- Possible Worldwide
- Breakthrough Media